On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 08:37:52 AM Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 12/08/2014 07:43, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> >> Plus, I refuse under any circumstances to run Gentoo on production

> > I use Gentoo exclusively on the servers and desktops at home. I find it
> > easier and more logical to maintain.
> > I do have a VM dedicated to building binary packages though.
>
> I just got really tired of eternally being The Only One In The Place Who
> Knows Gentoo(tm) and who doesn't blindly "emerge -uND world" on a remote
> box then walk away....

People who do that should be taken outside behind the chemical shed and
shot...

> At least with apt and yum juniors can be trained fairly quickly to do
> reliable world updates safely. This keeps the boss off my neck. That
> makes me happy.

I've seen installations start acting really weird because sysadmins decided to
update a redhat box the official way (yum).
Those usually ended up with backups being restored.

It doesn't matter which distribution you use, you still need to test updates
on a seperate environment first to ensure all the software running on the
environment will still work post-upgrade.

> On my personal servers and laptops, it will take on the order of atomic
> warfare to make me give up my beloved Gentoo there :-)

Hehe, same here.

--
Joost