On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:53:21 -0400, Ed Jabbour wrote:

> emerge --ask --oneshot --verbose ">=dev-lang/python-2.3.5-r2", as
> directed in the GLSA, returns a download for xemacs, which I do not now
> or ever had installed.  It is not in use flags.  However, an emerge
> -uDvp python doesn't even mention xemacs.  Any clue as to why the
> difference?  Any problems if the --oneshot is not used?  Thanks.

It is not --oneshot causing this. This option is necessary to prevent the
package being added to your world file. Look at the differences between

emerge -1tvD ">=dev-lang/python-2.3.5-r2"
and
emerge -1tvD python

It is possible that one command is trying to install Python 2.3 whereas
the second would install Python 2.4, which may have different
dependencies or USE flags.

PS my tagline is allegedly picked at random, but "man emerge" would help
clear up some of the confusion.

--
Neil Bothwick

Read the docs? What a RADICAL concept!