On 09/04/14 20:44, Daniel Frey wrote:
On 09/04/2014 08:14 PM, Joseph wrote:
On 09/04/14 19:41, Daniel Frey wrote:
On 09/04/2014 05:36 PM, Joseph wrote:
When I installed grub2 I got no errors:
grub2-install /dev/sda
Installation finished. No error reported.

If you are trying to boot in EFI mode, you aren't installing it
correctly. That installed to the MBR in legacy mode.

Instructions are here: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2

You need to mount /boot, and mount the EFI boot partition before
installing grub2 using `grub2-install --target=x86_64-efi`.

I'm still lost with this grab2, very confusing.  Gentoo official
documentation did not mention any of this :-/

Official documentation did ask to create /dev/sda1 2M BIOS boot
partition but there was no instruction how to mount it or format it.
I was under impression Grub2 will do all of this.
I booted with CD-minimal and there is no "mkdosfs" command.

Do I need to format the /dev/sda1?

If I do:
mkfs -t vfat -F 32 -n efi-boot /dev/sda1
mkfs.vfat: No such file or directory

I forgot to mention in my last post that you absolutely must boot from
an EFI-enabled kernel, the gentoo ISOs do not do this. I used the Mint
17 ISO to do this, when you go to boot options it should list it as EFI
bootable.

Thank you for explanation.
I have a question with regards to that EFI.  Does it refer to this /dev/sda1 2M
BIOS boot partition?
So this partition needs to be formatted to DOS file system and mounted in /boot/efi directory?
Gentoo Documentation is very outdated and confusing when it comes to this new
GRUB2.
Sometimes I want to scrap this crap and go back to standard legacy GRUB.

--
Joseph