On 09/14/14 18:43, Mick wrote:
On Sunday 14 Sep 2014 17:16:09 Joseph wrote:
On 09/14/14 18:57, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>On 14/09/14 18:46, Joseph wrote:
>> I get a strange error when trying to emerge xscreensaver"
>>
>> checking for bc... no
>>
>> configure: error: Your system doesn't have "bc", which has been a
>> standard
>>
>>                  part of Unix since the 1970s.  Come back when your
>>
>> vendor
>>
>>                  has grown a clue.
>>
>> What is "bc"?
>
>It's calculator application and it's listed as a dependency in the
>xscreensaver ebuild in the official Portage tree:
>
>ssuominen@null ~/gentoo-x86/x11-misc/xscreensaver $ grep sys-devel/bc
>*.ebuild
>xscreensaver-5.29.ebuild:    sys-devel/bc
>xscreensaver-5.30.ebuild:    sys-devel/bc
>
>So no way to "emerge xscreensaver" without having sys-devel/bc getting
>installed first.

The problem was sys-devel/bc. I had it installed.
Re-emerging sys-devel/bc solved the problem.

This sounds like something was wrong/corrupt in your system.  Did you re-
emerge it with -1aDv?  If not then unmerge it and then emerge it using -1, or
just emerge xscreensaver, which ought to bring it in.  To be honest there are
lot of programs that depend on bcm so any of them would bring it in as a
dependency.
--
Regards,
Mick

Good suggestion, I did it with -1 adding D will not hurt.

--
Joseph