On 30/09/2014 14:42, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
Kerin Millar <kerfra...@fastmail.co.uk> [14-09-30 15:08]:
On 30/09/2014 12:49, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> [14-09-30 12:44]:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:39:06 +0200, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

[I] sys-apps/ifplugd
      Available versions:
             0.28-r9    [doc selinux]
      Installed versions:  0.28-r9(11:14:57 12/18/10)(-doc)
      Homepage:
http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/ifplugd/ Description:
Brings up/down ethernet ports automatically with cable detection

and another alternative would be sys-apps/netplug

WHOW! That all sounds much more easier than I have dreamt of!
I did not thought, that such software exists already -- and
therefore
did not search for it...

If you use openrc, you only need to install one of these programs,
not
configure or set it to run. OpenRC detects that one of these programs
is
available and uses it to do exactly what you need.

--
Neil Bothwick

We are upping our standards - so up yours.

...ok, it works!
...nearly... ;)

Unfortunately, ntp-client is configured via rc-update (added to
"default") but after plugging in LAN the interface eth0 comes
up and I have access via ssh...but the date is set to the beginnig
of the UNIX epoch.
I have to call ntp-client by hand.

If you know that net.eth0 is specifically required to be up for
ntp-client to work, you should render OpenRC aware of the fact:

echo 'rc_need="net.eth0"' >> /etc/conf.d/ntp-client

--Kerin

Hi Kerin,

I tried a similiar thing:

#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2013 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-misc/ntp/files/ntp-client.rc,v 1.13
2013/12/24 11:01:52 vapier Exp $

depend() {
         before cron portmap
         after eth0
         use dns logger
}

for "after XYZ"
I set
     net
     net.eth0
     eth0
and none worked for me...

Using 'after' won't work unless both net.eth0 and ntp-client are in the default runlevel. Obviously, that condition is not satisfied if you are using ifplugd. Please try the solution mentioned in my previous post. It should work.

--Kerin