On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 16:09:54 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> This seems to work OK, except for eix-update, which gives me this:
>
> $ eix-update
> Reading Portage settings ..
> Building database (/var/cache/eix/portage.eix) ..
> [0] "gentoo" /var/portage/ (cache: metadata-md5-or-flat)
>      Reading category 162|162 (100%) Finished
> [1] "" /usr/portage (cache:
> parse|ebuild*#metadata-md5#metadata-flat#assign) Reading category
> parse|162|162 (100%) EMPTY!
> [...]
>
> Evidently something is still pointing to /usr/portage, but I can't see
> what.

I've just installed a new system with the tree in /var from the outset
and no /usr/portage at all, and eix behaves like this (I hadn't noticed
until you pointed it out) so it may be the /usr/portage path is hard
coded.

This doesn't cause any problems but now you have pointed it out it is
going to annoy me.

--
Neil Bothwick

A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.