On 2014-10-15, Alec Ten Harmsel <a...@alectenharmsel.com> wrote:

> The main problem (imnho) is that you think CentOS cares about
> configurability/multiple ways of doing things.

Oh, I don't think that -- it's pretty obvious that in the RedHat
world, choice is not an option.  It's one prix fixe menu, and you can
either eat what's set in front of you or go hungry.

> They do not. They have their packages and their way of doing things,
> following TUV so that the distro is easily supportable. When
> installing, you just have to keep clicking next like a robot.

>> I'm more convinced than ever that Gentoo is the way to go for my
>> "real" systems...
>
> Definitely agree; any systems that I spend a substantial amount of time
> using run Gentoo. Nothing else is equal. I mostly run it on my home
> server because I want it to Just Work (tm) without any work on my part.
> It also prevents me from playing around too much with USE and other
> things, which is another bonus as I get more work done ;)

And you avoid being forced every couple years to choose between a
major version upgrade (which invariably turns into to a minor
disaster) or reinstall from scratch (which usually turns out a little
better, but requires that normal work stop for several days).

--
Grant