On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 17:18:34 +0100
David W Noon <dwn...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:03:10 +0300, Gevisz (gev...@gmail.com) wrote
> about "Re: [gentoo-user] Re: XFCE weather plugin does not work" (in
> <544210d1.22a0700a.56bc.5...@mx.google.com>):
>
> On 18/10/14 08:03, Gevisz wrote:
> [snip]
> >> I have unpacked your patches to /etc/portage/patches as described here:
> >> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches
> >> and then run # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
> >
> >> After restarting xfce4, the weather-plugin started to work. Thank you.
>
> You're welcome.  The Xfce developers did the hard yakka, I simply
> massaged the patches so that they would apply cleanly on Gentoo systems.

Thank you anyway. :)

But may I ask you if applying those patches could result
in disappearing an alternative keyboard layout?

I guess not, but somehow I've got that result after updating libidn packet
and applying these patches afterwards. :(

The details are in the "An alternative keyboard layout is lost" thread.

> >> Nevertheless, just
> >> # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=90 --ask world
> >> instead of # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
> >> did not worked.
>
> That's because the plugin's version/release number has not been
> modified, so emerge will not process it.

Ok, I've got it. :)

> > The ebuild should have the following lines added:
> >
> > src_prepare() {
> >         epatch_user
> > }
> >
> >> I have not done this relying on the promise by  Greg Kubaryk
> >> that the ebuild is epatch_user enabled.
>
> That can be a bit variable.  I still put the epatch_user command in
> explicitly, just to be certain.
>
> > Don't forget to redo the manifest for the ebuild.
> >
> >> I never dealt with ebuilds on a maintaner level.
> >> So, may I ask if it is really necessary and for which purpose.
>
> If you modify the ebuild then you *must* update the manifest.  If you
> don't modify the ebuild then there is no need.

Do you mean that putting the patches into /etc/portage/patches/ directory
and emerging the packet does not change the corresponding ebuild?

According to my experience, it is not the case because, reemerging the
xfce4-weather-plugin with the patches deleted from /etc/portage/patches/
directory, I've still got the working plugin and, only after unmerging it
and re-emerging it again without the patches, I returned to its "no-data"
condition.

(But, as it did not helped me to return my alternative keyboard layout,
 I re-emerged the plugin back, with the patches.)