Am 26.10.2014 um 22:10 schrieb Alec Ten Harmsel:
> On 10/26/2014 04:16 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
>> <a...@alectenharmsel.com> wrote:

I went to 3.16.6 instead.

>>> What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
>>>
>>> I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
>>> running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
>>> fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
>>> a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.
>> I have sys-kernel/vanilla-sources in package.keywords, unversioned. So
>> depclean cleans away the older versions, and I keep the latest one.
> I was mostly asking Volker since he has vanilla-sources unmasked without
> specifying a version but is currently running the 3.12.23 kernel. Little
> crazy imnho, but whatever.

since I don't update that often specifying a certain version is... not
really necessary.

And updating a kernel means a reboot. Since rebooting has a high chance
of something going wrong (too many times I saw a hdd or ssd that worked
fine moments ago die on reboot), and disrupts whatever I am doing (all
those nice konsole tabs) and costs times (s3 to desktop is just so much
faster). I spend a lot of time with a certain kernel.

For depclean - I can't even remember the last time I run it.
> Must be nice; my laptop is so old that it boots slowly regardless of my
> choice of init system.

as others have written already: ssd.

With a caveat: if an ssd dies, it will die suddenly. Without a warning.
Usually 5 minutes before the start of your weekly or monthly backup run.
And that is first hand experience.