On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:42:28AM +0100, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:03:04PM +1100, wra...@wraeth.id.au wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 09:56:09PM +0100, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
<snip>
> systemd. Maybe i could adopt that to my custom one as well.
</snip>

Working examples are always nice :-)

> > The other point I might add is that my system, which uses dracut, has
> > systemd launched with some specific arguments:
> >
> >   ps -fp 1
> >   UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
> >   root         1     0  0 11:31 ?        00:00:00
> >   /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --switched-root --system --deserialize 18
> >
> > This may be relevant when creating your own initramfs.
>
> Thanks, thats something i could try as well :)

I'm not sure of the relevancy (it was just an observation), and I'm not
sure how the options (specifically --deserialize NN) is determined since
another of my machines has

  /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --switched-root --system --deserialize 19

> > > First of all, with systemd installed I can't install lvm2 with the
> > > static use flag anymore, which is mandatory for being able using it for
> > > a initramfs. Why isn't that possible? How can I use the lvm binaries for
> > > my initramfs?
> >
> > Again, as I think has been mentioned, the 'static' use flag is typically
> > a shortcut for easily building an initrd. Provided you include all the
> > dependencies of a given binary (as seen with `ldd /path/to/binary`) you
> > don't need static binaries.
>
> Yeah, now i was digging a bit further into static binaries. If I insert the
> relevant libaries it should work too. :)
> However i was wondering why lvm2 shouldn't be able to build with the
> static flag on systemd. However that's not important any more, i'm just
> curious :)

This *is* odd, but without a build log we can't really tell (unless
someone else has encountered the issue too).

> Well, at the wiki it's written you should run:
> genkernel --udev --lvm
> in order to generate the initramfs. But, you already mentioned it, you
> need a target in order generate anything, but it isn't mentioned at the
> wiki.
> As i'm not familar with genkernel i was a bit confused about the
> command. I would suggest following for example:
> genkernel --udev --lvm [target]

Fixed :-)

Cheers.
--