On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:18, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Dave Nebinger schreef:
> >> "/usr/src/    -> linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r4"
> >>
> >> "/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r4" exists
> >
> > You need to link /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r4,
> > as in:
> >
> > # cd /usr/src # ln -sf linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r4 linux
> >
> > Dave
>
> Or, dicing it down even further:
>
> /usr/src/linux is not a folder. "linux" is a symlink in the /usr/src/
> folder. This symlink, because it is targeted, either
> manually or automatically, to the last-installed kernel source-- which is
> not necessarily the same as the currently running kernel-- is used by
> applications which need to know what version of the kernel to compile
> against.
>
> What your error is saying is that it cannot determine what kernel source
> to compile against, because the 'linux' symlink in /usr/src
> (/usr/src/linux, thus) does not exist, or is not valid (does not point
> to a kernel source).
>
> In your case, it does not seem to exist.
>
> Holly

Also one I came across is if the sources are in vanilla condition (ie youve
run 'make mrproper' or similar) then the version hasnt been stamped out yet,
which confuses some programs. I had to do a config and then make to get them
in acceptable shape. This was way back with 2.6.5 I think.
--

"Illegitimacy is something we should talk about in terms of not having it."

George W. Bush
May 20, 1996