* Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> [141219 11:13]:
> On Friday 19 Dec 2014 15:46:43 Todd Goodman wrote:
> > * Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> [141219 10:22]:
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > > I am trying to find out what is considered good practice as far as
> > > UEFI/MBR and boot management goes.
> >
> > FWIW, I've built recent machines with UEFI/GPT but I mostly build recent
> > machines using BIOS-mode/GPT or MBR.  It usually depends on how well the
> > mobo I'm using works with either.
> >
> > Some of the mobos I've used have some seriously crummy UEFI
> > implementations that look like they installed Windows and that worked so
> > didn't bother testing any further.
> >
> > I don't dual-boot windows so BIOS/GPT works OK (I believe windows still
> > assumes UEFI == GPT and BIOS == MBR but I don't know.)
> >
> > Obviously I'm not using secure boot if I'm running in BIOS mode.
> >
> > Just my $.02,
>
> Thanks Todd,
>
> Are you saying that there is no benefit in moving to UEFI for Linux usage, if
> the MoBo can boot in conventional BIOS mode?

I guess what I'm saying is that I've had problems with some mobos
running UEFI (and also BIOS) with any non-windows OS.

So I don't usually bother with UEFI mode anymore as I find it more
hassle than it's worth for me.

Someone else may (probably) has some reasons why running UEFI is more
beneficial, but I haven't noticed any.

But these machines are not booting any other OS aside from Gentoo.  If I
were dual-booting Windows then I'd go UEFI/GPT for sure.

Todd