Jonathan Wright schreef:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Firefox itself has any issues, but it does seem to have a memory
>> leak? hog? something-- which saddens me, because it makes me feel
>> like I'm using Mozilla again, which had these kinds of problems for
>>  a long, long time. Firefox was a big relief because it *didn't*
>> have 'that damn Mozilla memory problem', but it seems to have
>> developed it.
>

> At the end of the day - it's still a massive improvement over
> anything M$ have produced with IE. So long as you know the
> limitations you can work around it - i.e. if you've been playing with
>  alot of tabs, just close it down and start it back up again when
> you're done (a few seconds work).
>
> And, I think with one of the tab extensions that you can download
> it'll save the current tabs you have open and recreate them all for
> you when you restart firefox.

Why/How else do you think I have 30 tabs open constantly? Of *course* I
use Session Saver to maintain them, usually in groups of tabs related to
whatever projects I'm working on at the moment, atm it's subtitling,
Morrowind, fvwm, and a bunch on css and web page design, plus a couple
extra for random things like reading web comics and checking
packages.gentoo.org. Since these are all related to long-term ongoing
projects, I wouldn't be able to manage the "reference section" at *all*
if I didn't have a way to maintain my currently-open tabs when closing FF.

Session Saver, and the modular search engine bar, are such good
features, which I find so essential, that Firefox would have to get a
whole lot closer to unuseable than this before I'd consider giving it up.

It's not a (very) big problem yet, but it is very disappointing,
nonetheless. I've used Mozilla since it was Netscape, and Firefox since
it was Phoenix, so I'm fairly well-placed to monitor how they compare
both to previous versions of themselves, and to each other (though I
haven't used Mozilla in a while, since -- as you say-- it's slow and
cumbersome compared to Firefox, even now).

And at least Firefox doesn't yet crash the way Mozilla used to when it
had these memory conditions-- and since it was under Windows, it crashed
the whole bloody OS when it went. My bf, who uses the Moz 1.8 alpha
under Win2K, still has to log out and back in sometimes because of
Mozilla crashing. So it seems to me that it's definitely something in
the Moz backend that's the issue, and I suspect it has to do with the
merging of the trees as Moz is phased out and replaced definitively by
FF (and Thunderbird). But that's just speculation on my part as I only
follow Moz development over my bf's shoulder.

> I just find Mozilla (Suite) slow and cumbersome, although it does
> have better Javascript support than Firefox (useful for IE-centric
> sites), and Opera is propiritary and has an over-enthuisatic
> interface (not as simple as firefox). Long live firefox! :)

Indeed.

Holly