Joseph <syscon780 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm looking for a solution to stream music in a home from my Gentoo box.

Here is an excellent read to get you started. If I'm understanding your
desire ( to run many speakers in parallel off of a single amplifier)
you'll need an amp design for "2 ohm" load to run "8" 8-ohm speakers
off of a single amplifiter. This will only give you "mono" sound in
each of 8 rooms. If you want stereo sound, then you'll need twice as
many channels.

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

If you have a 7.1 surround sound amp, then you can run each channelto
a differnet room and the 8th channel to the "sub woofer" on a different
amplifiter to get "7.1" audio in our whole house. It will sound different
than the 7.1 audio in a single room (usually where the big screen TV is).
If you want remote (gain) control on your discrete audio amp,I suggest
you look for one that offers that in the device driver section of the
linux kernel. If it does not have gain control, you can damage equipment
very easily, so be cautious. Speakers with integrated small amps might
work for your need?

You need to find a discussion group for audio, as getting mono, stereo, 5.1
or 7.1 audio out of a PC audio card, is trivial in most operating systems
as long as you have a sound card (mobo) capable of the sound output you
want.

Also read up on "pre-outs" when combining 2 or more amplifiers in series.

> Are there better solutions?

Go find a good audio group for details and help.

hth,
James