On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:52:57 -0800 Grant wrote:
> > Does anybody know more about this "security flaw in the open-source Linux
> > GNU C Library"
> >
> > http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/linux-makers-release-patch-to-thwart-new-ghost-cyber-threat/article22662060/?cmpid=rss1
>

> I updated a system of mine that was using an old version of glibc and
> rebooted.  I can't do a full emerge world there or use various other
> portage tools due to the peculiarities of my current situation.  Could
> I still be vulnerable?

Your system may be vulnerable to this issue only if you have
packages statically linked with vulnerable glibc libs, so most
likely — no. But your system may be affected by a plenty of other
issues in various packages.

At the very least you should apply all GLSAs to your system: while
they don't encompass all vulnerabilities, they should warn you
about most common and important ones.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko