On 14/02/15 05:08, James wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

>> Any special reason why you don't instead download the sources and build
>> them yourself with PREFIX=/usr/local ?
>
> Lots of errant codes flying everywhere so you have to pull a code audit
> to see what's in the raw tarballs before building. That takes way too much
> time. I'm working on setting up several more workstations for coding to
> isolate them from my main system. This approach you suggest is: error prone,
> takes too much time, and I'm lazy and sometimes even stupid.
> I need a structure methodology to be a one man extreme_hack_prolific
> system that prevents me from doing stupid things, whilst I'm distracted.

rpm is just a wrapper around a an archive with instructions on how to
build and or install it.  I have more experience with rpm's but I
believe debs are the same.  Just unwrap your .rpm/.deb file of choice
and install it manually (the binaries/code are usually in a zip inside
the rpm).  You should in most cases also be able to get a source rpm
(which I suspect you are talking about anyway, but binaries do work deps
permitting.

you can install rpm and then install your package via rpm - seem to
remember doing this with .debs somehow too.  deps are a problem but
usually workable.

and why set up a workstation? - this sort of thing is tailor made for
vm's.  Create a base for your experiments with essential packages,
settings etc, snapshot it (golden master) and then throwaway->restore
when finished with that iteration.

There are package managers besides gentoo/protage that can do a source
build/install and track the files on gentoo - though portage will not
know about it (rpm is one :)

and lastly, what do mean error prone? - to me a manual install is the
ONLY way you can build a proper ebuild that catches most of the
problems.  In the (admittedly few) ebuilds I have done an occasional
human error is nothing compared to system problems for a difficult package.

BillK