Jason Stubbs wrote:

>On Monday 19 September 2005 13:16, gentuxx wrote:
>
>>If I update firefox with the --oneshot option, I know that it won't
>>update the "world" tree, but why? Why is that the recommended
>>procedure? Does that give me any benefit? Also, why would a package
>>be available as a "--oneshot" and NOT through a normal "emerge -Dupv
>>world"?
>

>The package would be available through -Dupv as well, but not everybody
>likes to update all packages (especially on servers).

Granted.  And while I run a server (a few actually), it's a home
system, not a production one.  And, since I run production gentoo
systems, I understand the difference.  For this, I'm asking from the
perspective of a home user.  So, that being said, does updating a
package for a security fix using the "--oneshot" option update the
same package that is "housed" in the "world" tree?  If so, can I
assume that the same package will be updated next time I update
"world"?  Meaning, if I run "--oneshot" for mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-r7
and mozilla-firefox-1.0.7-r1 comes out, will 1.0.6-r7 be upgraded to
1.0.7-r1?

>>I love how portage unifies the packaging system, and I feel like if I
>>run all of these "--oneshot" updates for security fixes, that I'll
>>have all of these "stray" programs running around on my system, that
>>won't get updated next time I emerge "world".
>

>--oneshot won't remove the package from world. It just prevents it from
>being added. If the package is installed but not in world, it is presumably
>there as a dependency from another package. Hence, updating world will
>still grab the package. Using --oneshot just keeps the world file clean.

So what exactly does that mean if the package is already in "world"?
If every security fix comes out with "--oneshot" being recommended,
how do I know if it's a dependency of a package in world, or an entity
in world?  (This seems like an extension of the questioning above.)

I'm just trying to set all this straight mentally, so I know what's
going on with my system when I update it.  I typically run the
following to update my system 2 or 3 times a week (sometimes only once):

emerge -Du(p)v world
emerge -(p)v depclean
revdep-rebuild -(p)v
dispatch-conf

I put the "p" for "--pretend" in parentheses because depending on the
output of that step, I may skip it if there is nothing to do.

Also, for the most recent firefox update, I would run the command as
recommended with the "-p" flag, and it would see the package.  If I
run "emerge -Dupv mozilla-firefox" I only get a few of the (supposed)
dependencies, and not the package itself, while the package installed
(when I do "emerge search mozilla-firefox") is 1.0.6-r5.

- --
gentux
echo "hfouvyAdpy/ofu" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'

gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 34CE 2E97 40C7 EF6E EC40  9795 2D81 924A
6996 0993