Am Dienstag, 10.03.2015 um 19:14
schrieb "J.  Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org>:

> On 10 March 2015 19:16:12 CET, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >the following happens some minutes before:
> >I was searching on youtube for some reviews...
> >and suddenly BOOM: "Server not found: Unknow host"
> >
> >I restarted firefox...which did not help.
> >
> >I did a ping & traceroute to www.youtube.com from
> >the commandline...same results...
> >
> >Wireshark shows the DNS query to my DSL modem...
> >and the answer was that from above.
> >
> >I rebooted my Gentoo box...no help...
> >
> >The problem vanishes as I powercycled my DSL modem.
> >
> >Any other access was working the whole time.
> >
> >Was my DSL modem hacked?
> >Does anyone else noticed a glithc in the matrix?
> >
> >Best regards,
> >mcc
>
> Most modems and routers have really bad DNS proxies. I tend to either
> run my own or use Googles DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I don't like the idea that google is getting all information about my
DNS queries. ;-)

I usually prefer the DNS servers from my ISP as forwarding servers for
my router (which has a proper working DNS proxy). These DNS servers are
just a few hops away and therefore responding very fast.

--
Regards
wabe