On 05/04/2015 11:50, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Today's routine update included dev-lang/perl-5.20.2 and two perl virtuals.
> Since emerging those portage has stopped working: perl-cleaner gives it a
> list of 71 packages to emerge but portage does nothing with them - it just
> exits silently. Then perl-cleaner lists some hundreds of files that it can't
> do anything with.
>
> What's going on here?
>
> I've restored from last week's backup and added the offending perl packages
> to package.mask, but is that the right thing to do?

When I occasionally run into bizarre weirdness like this, I usually wait
one hor, re-sync and try again. If it still fails, then go looking further.

Significant updates to the CVS tree are not atomic and every now and
then you can do a sync while a dev is making his own updates. Especially
in the light that it all works fine for Mick.

If you use a third party tree mirror, you can also update against the
master at rsync.gentoo.org to get the very latest tree.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com