On Saturday 16 May 2015 11:40:01 gevisz wrote:

> > As Mick says, you get to choose, but the per-package approach is
> > definitely lighter on the system. Enabling it globally may be less work
> > though. I say "may" because when I tried that it introduced some
> > breakages,
>
> If enabling abi_x86_32 globally may introduce breakages, then
> the multilib profile is even more broken than I ever thought. :-(
>
> > so I went for the per-package approach.
> > --
> > Neil Bothwick
> >
> > Things are more like they are today than they ever have been before.
>
> Yes, I do remember installing Linux on a brand-new laptop in 2003.
>
> I had to compile a new kernel only to get the command prompt.
>
> And, to get a graphic interface, I had to wait for a new release
> of the distribution in 2004. :(

Oh the nostalgia of the good old days!  Back then we had to (bootstrap)^2 to
begin the installation.  I seem to recall 2004.1 as a relatively straight
forward installation vintage/profile, although there were the odd horror
stories depending on hardware combos and missing drivers.

PS. I'm waiting for Neil's uncanny signature which if it works correctly it
should come with something like:  "Nostalgia, it's not what it used to be"
LOL!

--
Regards,
Mick