Mick wrote:
> On Friday 22 May 2015 00:49:54 Dale wrote:
>> Mike Gilbert wrote:

>>> Then you have not made any critical config changes, or you have been very
>>> lucky.
>> Then so have I.  I have changed one thing a lot of times over the years,
>> run make and it work fine.  Most of the time, it is when emerge spits
>> out that a option is needed for a package to work.  Honestly, this is
>> the first time I recall hearing this should even be done.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I knew it should be done, but thought it ought to be done when you want to
> start with a clean slate and I didn't know if I needed to do this, or what a
> clean slate involved exactly.
>
> Since I run 'make oldconfig' I always assumed that I don't need a clean
> slate,
> plus updating minor versions takes seconds.
>
> So I'm the 3rd one in row to state that I haven't had any deleterious effects
> that I noticed.

When I first emerge a new kernel, I run make mrproper to get a good
clean start.  I then copy my old config over to the new kernel.  After
that, I don't run clean or mrproper again for that version.  If I change
something, I run menuconfig, make the change, run make all && make
modules_install and then copy it over.  I don't even want to try and
count the number of times I've changed just one setting because some
package needed it before it would update.  Sometimes, I may change a
kernel several times before I update to a new version.

I been doing this the same way ever since about 2003.  As some know, if
it would cause a problem, I should have found it by now, at least once.
;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)