On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Others have already answered, but I will add that if you put "emergency"
> anywhere in the kernel command line, then systemd will boot to the rescue
> target; that's why I suggested to do it in my first answer.

I'm pretty sure that won't work for an initramfs - they're almost
certainly designed to ignore that instruction.  Usually when somebody
wants a rescue shell, they want it in their root filesystem, and not
in their initramfs before it has pivoted.  That is why dracut has
options like rd.break.

If the problem were with systemd/services/etc in the actual root
filesystem (once the actual distro has started booting), then putting
emergency on the command line should get you a rescue shell.

The same generally applies to openrc - if the initramfs isn't mounting
your root filesystem, then passing instructions to openrc won't do
anything since in that case openrc isn't even running.

--
Rich