<gory details of many frustrating hours of fighting with one particular
gentoo package have been snipped to eliminate uncouth language>

I think of a gentoo "binary" package (e.g. oracle-jdk-bin) as an ebuild
that fetches a file from somewhere, then merely unpacks that file and
sticks the results in /opt/<whatever>.

My experience today with libreoffice-bin has broken my mental model of
how a gentoo "binary" package behaves.

While trying to debug some broken behavior in the (non-binary) localc
spreadsheet app, I decided to install libreoffice-bin as an experiment.

The libreoffice-bin package wanted to drag in dozens of other non-binary
gentoo packages before it would install itself, and even caused a blocker
between two different versions of poppler.  (I said "no" because I thought
the blocker would make the entire experiment fail in the end.)

Any thoughts from you gentoo gurus would be most appreciated.