Jonathan Callen <jcallen <at> gentoo.org> writes:

> The list of all profiles that can be chosen (for all architectures)
> can be found in ${PORTDIR}/profiles/profiles.desc .  There are other
> "profile-like" directories under ${PORTDIR}/profiles, but these are
> only used as parents for a "complete" profile, as would be listed in
> profiles.desc.  Most profiles do not change much, if anything, in the
>  <at> system set.  The  <at> system set contains much more than you would
> probably need for a dedicated, embedded device.

OK.

So I want to build and embedded gentoo system on an amd64:

model name      : AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor

What this the embedded profile? (show me the syntax for this?).

I only need busybox (looking at the other embedded profiles). If I choose to
install iptables, as the only package, after busybox, the dependancy-tree
will pull in what else I need. Then just mod the kernel and I have embedded
gentoo on an amd64 system with iptables.

This will work, right? Isn't this what you are implying, or is the
profile system incomplete?

James