On 06/23/2015 10:50 AM, gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23 2015, Christopher Jones wrote:
>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> Regarding the touch screens/tablets, Gentoo has drivers for them. I've
>> been using Gentoo on my tablet PC for years now. However there's no
>> swipe capability. I've read someone who did it but that was just one
>> person and couldn't figure out how he did it. I think they used KDE's
>> Plasma.
>
> Thanks.  I use gnome and would make little use of the touch screen
> capability if it were available.  As a result I decided against it for
> this purchase since it appears the admin overhead would exceed the very
> modest use I would make of it.  Hopefully in 3 years, when I buy my next
> laptop it will be well supported and "just works" in gnome.
>
> thanks again,
> allan

I discovered another mark against touchscreens - I tried to repair a
friend's laptop with a touch screen (not a Dell) and found that the
supply chain for parts for repair is slim to none. They do break and in
a couple years you may not be able to find a digitizer (or if you do you
can't get it separate from the laptop screen assembly - camera, screen,
digitizer). And if you are really unlucky you'll find that the
connectors are different from the non-touch to the touch models so
swapping in a plain screen won't work.

Dan