On Thursday 22 September 2005 15:33, Michael Kintzios wrote:
> Besides cron jobs and associated executables, there's files which are
> accessed intermittently and written/read from even more sparsely.
> Unless you somehow log the file paths for all such interactions how
> will you ever know what to delete and what not?  I guess you can keep
> backups and experiment so that you don't find out something's missing
> the hard way, next time you decide to reboot.

It's way easier to mount the partition with "atime" option to track
every file access time.

Search for -atime -anewer and similar "find" options.

Anyway this kind of approach can lead to instabilities, when it comes
the moment your pc enters a state it never entered before and need a
file deleted for scarce usage...

Double check what to delete, and leave everything unknown in its
place :-)

Just my 2cts

Ciao
        Francesco
--
Linux Version 2.6.12-gentoo-r9, Compiled #2 Wed Aug 24 18:43:16 CEST
2005