On 07/07/2015 18:48, Andrew Lowe wrote:
> On 07/03/2015 01:53 PM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     Just done an "eix-sync" followed by an "emerge --pretend -NuD world"
>> and for some reason, something wants to install Ruby stuff everywhere -
>> I don't currently have any ruby stuff installed. I have in my make.conf
>> "-ruby" and "RUBY_TARGETS=""". Looking at "equery depends ruby" shows 4
>> ebuilds,
>>
>> app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets-1.78.0-r1 (ruby ? dev-lang/ruby:1.9)
>>                                            (ruby ? dev-lang/ruby:2.0)
>> dev-util/universalindentgui-1.2.0-r1 (ruby ? dev-lang/ruby)
>> dev-vcs/subversion-1.8.13-r2 (ruby ? >=dev-lang/ruby-2.1:2.1)
>> media-gfx/graphviz-2.38.0 (ruby ? dev-lang/ruby)
>>
>> I've gone into package.use and put a "-ruby" for these four and the
>> problem persists.
>>
>> Looking at the output from "emerge --pretend -NuD world" shows the first
>> mention of ruby is "eselect-ruby". Putting this into package.mask does
>> nothing, it still appears in the emerge list and now also at the bottom
>> of the emerge output under "The following mask changes are necessary to
>> proceed"
>>
>> "emerge --tree --pretend dev-lang/ruby" appears to also have
>> eselect-ruby as the cause of the trouble.
>>
>>      Does anyone know how I can prevent this infestation from happening?
>>
>>      Regards,
>>              Andrew
>>

>       To close off my original question, the problem was related to
> qt-creator. I had 3.2.2 installed and it wanted to update to 3.4.1.
> 3.4.1 has a dependency on qtwebkit, which has a dependency on ruby,
> hence the infestation. Masking > 3.2.2 solved the problem.
>
>       Thanks to those who provided suggestions,
>
>               Andrew
>
> p.s. "--tree" really needs to be documented properly somewhere

--tree is already documented in the man page, in alphabetical order with
all the rest of the options. Yes, it's two lines, but that's all it
needs to be:

it displays the whole depgraph so yu can see what pulls in what.

It's also *very* well-known around here and is usually one of the first
things given as advice with questions like yours.

Were you expecting something more?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com