>From [1] we have Project:Installer [2] which looks very interesting.
However, If I were to create a new gentoo installer, I think
I'd leverage ansible and the persistence mode (usb stick) code that
LikeWhoa put together, as a basis for the effort. I'd be most
curious to read other folk's ideas (strategies) to create a more
automated installation semantic for installing gentoo systems. The handbook
is fine; in fact it is great. But, many gentoo users that have performed
more than a dozen gentoo installs sooner or later get around to their own
installations customizations for a wide variety of valid reasons.

Ansible would lend itself to expanded and very targeted types of system
installs where an accomplished gentoo user could supplement the base install
with a collection of specific packages and config settings; imho. Say for
example a secure web or mail server, not that it would be the only
way to build such a server, but just one specific method a particular author
wanted to (share) publish. Surely there are other and better ideas that
folks have used or that they are currently contemplating for routine gentoo
installs?

Maybe some discussion herein could help shape the efforts of [2,3]?

Naturally, we should remember Release Engineering and their role
as pivotal [3]. [1 and 2] are interesting to read.

James

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo

[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Installer

[3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng_GRS