Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 Jul 2015 18:35:27 Dale wrote:
>> Mick wrote:

>>> A better, as in more secure, solution should involve local encryption
>> and IMHO
>>
>>> local air-gapped storage.  A USB key will do nicely and you can have a
>> second
>>
>>> USB key stored in your brother's premises, for disaster recovery
>> scenarios.
>>
>>> This is because cloud storage:
>>>  a) creates a honey pot which attracts attacks[1] and
>>>  b) most of cloud storage is in the US.
>>>
>>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Security_issues
>> From what I recall about Lasspass, it does encrypt the data locally then
>> uploads it.  I recall reading that if you lose your master password,
>> they can't get in it either.  All they get is encrypted data.  Of all
>> the things I read about when looking for a password manager, Lastpass
>> was the only thing that came close to what I wanted.  After using it a
>> while, it is all I need.
>>
>> https://lastpass.com/how-it-works
> Right, your data may be encrypted locally, but if you use a browser to
> decrypt
> it (after it is downloaded to your PC) then there are attack vectors (e.g.
> XSS) for the decrypted data to be leaked out of your machine.

Well, couldn't the same be said if it is encrypted on a USB stick?
Anytime you encrypt something, you have decrypt it to use it and that
has to be done somewhere.

>> I've had USB sticks break before.  They are also easy to lose.  I'd
>> prefer not to store something that important on a USB stick.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I didn't clarify that you should use something like gpg to encrypt your
> file(s) on the USB stick, as I do this with all sensitive files not just
> passwords.  I more or less assumed that it is the done thing.  Broken USB
> sticks you can drive a drill through, or throw in a fire.  Stolen USB sticks
> will at least be encrypted.
>
> If you are really paranoid you could also use dm-crypt to additionally
> encrypt
> the whole USB partition.

My point is, if you put the info on a USB stick and lose it, you have
now lost all your passwords.  If it fails, same problem.  The way
Lastpass works, even if your computer dies from say a house fire, once
you login to Lastpass with your new puter, you are back in business.

Dale

:-)  :-)