On 22/07/2015 04:34 πμ, Jonathan Callen wrote:

On 2015-07-21 14:12, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
I upgraded to KDE 5 recently, and was using LightDM as the display
manager. It seems that KDE 5 prefers SDDM though and offers a
config module for it in System Settings.

So I installed SDDM. However, when I log in with SDDM, I get no
sound. My sound card just... disappears. "alsamixer -c0" says:

invalid card index: 0".

[...]

Are you using systemd?

Nope. I'm on OpenRC.

If not, did you build sddm with USE=consolekit and read the warning
printed by portage?

      This display manager doesn't have native built-in ConsoleKit
      support.  In order to use ConsoleKit pam module with this display
      manager, you should remove the "nox11" parameter from
      pm_ck_connector.so line in /etc/pam.d/system-login

Your issue is most likely that your X session is not being treated as
a login session by logind/ConsoleKit, and therefore your user is not
being added to the ACLs on the various devices under /dev, including
all sound devices, certain input devices, any CD/DVD/BR devices you
may have, and certain video devices.

I had tried that already. Didn't mention it because I thought this only affects graphics.

Anyway, it changes nothing. Still no sound card, even after reboot.