* Jc García <jyo.gar...@gmail.com> [150726 11:28]:

> > My son wanted me to do that.  I didn't because
> >
> > Something else to learn (I don't run a vm).
> >
> > I didn't want to face dell support with linux and xen underneath the
> > supported windows.
> >
> That's an exaggeration, VirtualBox is just a few clicks and you get a
> VM, really easy and intuitive, common is what almost(even clueless
> people about computers) every noob uses, you should be able to have no
> problem with it  if you are capable of dealing with gentoo. you don't
> need to do  a cluster setup to run a vm.

I like and use VirtualBox a lot (and agree it's easy to use.)

But the performance and USB handling mean that I need Windows or other
OS' on bare metal most of the time.  I don't know how well Dell's crap^W
support stuff runs in a VM.

In the past when I get machine with Windows pre-installed I usually
shrink the Windows partition and then install linux in that space
(generally plenty of disk) if I need to keep Windows around for some
reason (sometimes just because it's a work machine that has Windows
requirements at times.)

It's definitely much better to have Windows installed first and then
Linux as Windows is poorly behaved and treats the entire disk as its
own touching things it has no business to touch.

Todd