Hi Iain,

thanks a lot for your post (for the tips etc.).

I did much of the initial work to prove the concept and handed it over
to someone else to turn into a reproducible system.  As far as I know,
we've had 3 or 4 running continuously for quite a few months now.

Do you have a website were you publish your concept?

Our particular requirement was to make a running system for a 64 Mb
sandisk, with enough space left over for about 10-12 Mb of our own
software.  This is an embedded control system (no X), and we wanted a
very similar installation on our HMI (X, gnome, and other such boggy
apps :) running the same kernel so we could copy programs between them
if need be.  (The HMI runs a complete installation.)

A System with X is also my intension.

If you're planning on doing it in a short amount of time, think again!
It won't be trivial, but the concept is at least possible.

I'm very lucky that you have no unresolvable problems (yet), so I'm looking forward. In the next few month I will start to work on this. Currently I'm thinking (thinking only, nothing is done) of using qemu for the "identification boot/run". It would be amazingly if a mechanism can be found, to dynamicaly bring in a file into an intial emtpy system.

THX,

Sascha.