On 2015-08-04, Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Grant Edwards composed on 2015-08-04 17:20 (UTC):
>
>> My gut feeling is that a fresh install is going to be a _lot_ easier
>
> For some "degenerate" value of easier. :-)
>
>> and faster.  A fresh install will take a couple hours. An upgrade will
>> take somewhere between a couple days and a couple weeks.
>
> Seriously, more than a day?

Probably.  There have beens some major changes in the past 4 years.
The last time I tried up upgrade a system that was more than a year
old, it took a couple days.

Portage was unable to resolve a lot of conflects and blockers. I hand
to uninstall a _lot_ of stuff to get to the point where portage could
be convinced to do any upgrades at all.  It would have been way faster
to do a fresh install.

> Now that I've seen several thread responses subsequent to this one,
> I'm leaning towared just doing a fresh installation, but I'm curious
> about what would happen by trying, and how long it really would take.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm having an
                                  at               EMOTIONAL OUTBURST!!  But,