On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 August 2015 10:43:28 Rich Freeman wrote:
>
>> Just to humor you I'll include an OpenRC version of my raid1 btrfs
>> install walkthrough.  :)  It has been a while since I've done one of
>> those...
>
> Me too please, Rich. I still haven't got this six-year-old MBR box to boot
> raid1 btrfs.

FWIW, my notes are at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJlJyYLTZScta9a81xgKOIBjYsG3_VfxxmUSxG23Uxg/edit?usp=sharing

I plan to clean this up for a blog and perhaps wiki article.  However,
anybody should be able to just follow those notes and get a bootable
system.  Note that I skipped some stuff like network setup, but I did
install everything you should need to configure the network.

I've worked through the openrc install, and I'm working through the
systemd install now.  Really the only thing you do different for
systemd is select a different profile, pick the right kernel config,
and enable system in the grub configuration.  For non-systemd you
again pick the non-systemd profile you want, pick the openrc kernel
config, and don't mess with grub.

For UEFI it would need a tiny bit more work, and a FAT32 boot
partition (which I left off - I just did a simple MBR install here).

Feel free to comment on the notes if you want to contibute, or think
that a particular point needs clarification.  Again, these are just
notes and I do plan to wikify it, but I don't necessarily plan to
recreate the entire handbook with these steps thrown in - if anything
it would probably make more sense to just add a few notes to the
existing handbook.  Really the only thing that is btrfs-specific here
is using grub2 (which is the default anyway), the btrfs setup at the
start, the fstab, and installing btrfs-progs.

The kernel is also overkill, being based on the install CD (which
obviously got you that far already, but probably includes a lot of
modules you don't need).  Being an initramfs install the kernel is
modular, so you're only sacrificing kernel build time, not kernel
memory at runtime.

--
Rich