On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Poison BL. <poiso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So it was prompted by a perceived security issue, but I would happily sit
> down with any of the DPOs involved in that to hear just how that little
> bandaid fixes any of the real security issues involved ;)
>
> --
> Joshua M. Murphy

Actually, now I recall what the actual issue is/was that prompted it. While
there's no reasonable security issue from the information left over by the
startup script output, the change was (if I recall from reading about it
back then) addressing the data left on screen after a user session, which
very much would fall under the scope of the data protection officers
mentioned above. When launched from init, as agetty is, there's no sensible
way to track whether it's being launched the first time after boot, or
relaunched after the end of a previous session, hence the terminal clear by
default.

--
Joshua M. Murphy