On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 4:40 AM, Marc Joliet <mar...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Wed, 19 Aug 2015 21:13:01 -0400
> schrieb Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org>:
>
>> So, who cares what they think?  They don't get to write the law.  When
>> Linus says stuff that is smart, I'll admire him for it.  When he says
>> stuff that is dumb, I'm not afraid to say that the emperor has no
>> clothes.
>
> What do you think of the input the lawyers he went to gave him [0]:

I don't know.  You didn't provide it, and neither did Linus.

Lawyers also don't have the authority to write the law.  In fact, in
every single case that goes to court there are at least two lawyers
who disagree on how the case should be resolved.

>     "I think both them said that anybody who were to change a xyz_GPL to the
>     non-GPL one in order to use it with a non-GPL module would almost
>     immediately fall under the "willful infringement" thing, and that it would
>     make it MUCH easier to get triple damages and/or injunctions, since they
>     clearly knew about it.

IF it were infringement, I agree.  It is a bit like putting a lock on
your door.  Even if the lock is easy to defeat it shows intent.  I
don't take issue with that argument.

However, if I stick a lock on somebody else's gate it doesn't make
them a trespasser if they cut it.  Linus doesn't get to change the
law.  He's just drawing a line in the sand.

--
Rich