Mick wrote:
> PS. Noisy PSUs are nothing new. The noise is can be caused by the
> capacitors, or the coils. Although annoying it does not necessarily
> mean that there is an electrical problem with the components. If the
> fan is rattling, then a drop of oil on its bearing should soon put a
> stop to this. As Dale mentioned, a stalled fan will not help the
> longevity of the remaining components. :-)

This is true, they do sometimes make noise.  What got my attention is
that it stopped.  Usually if one makes noise, it will make it for the
remainder of its life cycle unless something changes, such has adding
additional load which may change a frequency.  If nothing changes and it
stops making that noise, then it likely stopped working as well.  I've
seen capacitors go bad and it not blow anything else out or stop the
rest of the circuit from working.  It all depends on how it is used in
the circuit.  Most likely in a case like this, if the capacitor just
went open circuit, the rest of the circuit will continue to work but the
capacitor is no longer doing its job of filtering out the noise and
ripple.

Still, the mention that it stopped is what got my attention.  That
doesn't sound good, pardon the pun.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)