Hi Alexander,

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Peter Weilbacher <newss...@weilbacher.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > after successfully using kernel 4.0.5 (vanilla-sources) for a while, I
> > upgraded to 4.1.5 last week and 4.1.6 today. I cannot boot either of
> > them. On the screen I see
> >
> >    Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
> >    Booting the kernel.
> >
> > as the last thing, then it just sits there.
>
> I am running vanilla-sources 4.1.6, and so far I have not had any
> trouble booting it.
>
> Are you able to boot some of your previous kernels? If so, what does
> your '/boot/grub/grub.cfg' look like?
> What is the output of 'cat /etc/fstab' and 'ls -1 /boot'?

I can still boot 4.0.5 fine, with the same setup. I use lilo, and I
checked that I changed the two/four digits correctly in /etc/lilo.conf.

By chance I left the boot sit there for more than the typical minute,
and got multiple messages like

  INFO: rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU { 3}  (t=60000 jiffies g=-256
c=-257 q=193)
  rcu_sched kthread starved for 50027 jiffies!

right after the above "Booting the kernel." line.

Do I need to activate a different kind of clocking or a CPU feature in
4.1.x?

   Peter.