On Thursday 27 Aug 2015 19:31:34 Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thursday, August 27, 2015 2:23:56 PM Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:49:13 AM Mike Gilbert wrote:

> extent

> grub-

> model

> partition

> > is

> > > It's not a bug, and it won't be "fixed". Installing on a partition is
> > > simply not supported.
> >
> > I just got it to work with these steps:
> >
> > 1. Mount the partition to /mnt/usb
> > 2. Run:
> >
> > #grub2-install --directory /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc --boot-
> > directory=/mnt/usb/boot --force /dev/sdb2
> > Installing for i386-pc platform.
> > grub2-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
> > grub2-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
>
> installed
>
> > in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE
> > and their use is discouraged..
> > Installation finished. No error reported.
> >
> > 3. Set the partition as active with fdisk.
> >
> > And it booted. To verify that it didn't overwrite the mbr I overwrote it
>
> with
>
> > syslinux's mbr as follows:
> >
> > sudo dd conv=notrunc bs=440 count=1 if=/usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin
>
> of=/dev/sdb
>
> > Still boots!
>
> It is a good idea to make all grub2 files in /boot immutable to avoid
> problems.

You beat me to it.  Yes GRUB2 can be installed on a partition instead of the
MBR and yes it complains about it.  However, it works regardless.  I have done
it a couple of times so far, just as you describe above.  In my case I
chainload GRUB2 with NTLDR or modern equivalent and this is how I know that
the MBR was not being overwritten by it.

--
Regards,
Mick