I personally find it beneficial to backup to an online source locally or in
an online storage service (as long as encryption incurs etc).

DVD are indeed limited in life.  You are still better off with other
offline storage mediums such as an external hdd or tape indeed.

I've found crashplans unlimited storage 10 machine online backup solution
to be an excellent solution for desktop machines where connectivity is not
guaranteed for cronnd rsyncs etc. Of course it relies on running a fat jar
, but it works.

As to uptime, I keep my windows desktops machine online more than my linux
desktops just due to how frequent kernel updates occur.