On Wed, 2 Sep 2015, walt wrote:

> Thank you.  I've been running systemd for months and this is the first
> time I've heard about systemd profiles.  I'm not using either gnome or
> kde, so should I use default/linux/amd64/13.0/systemd, which doesn't
> seem to care if I'm running a desktop machine or a headless server?

I just had a closer look of the profile and it's definitely more suitable
for servers. However do remember that this is gentoo so we can work around
that.

Easy way: stay on the desktop profile and copy all of the systemd profile
files into /etc/portage:

    mkdir -p /etc/portage/profile
    cp /usr/portage/profiles/targets/systemd/* /etc/portage/profile

A bit harder (but way more interesting!): roll your own profile. Never
done this before and the documentation is a bit scarce, but this seems to
do the right thing:

    # mkdir -p /etc/portage/repos.conf
    # cat >/etc/portage/repos.conf/local.conf <<EOF
    [local]
    location = /usr/local/portage
    auto-sync = no
    EOF
    # mkdir -p /usr/local/portage
    # cd /usr/local/portage
    # mkdir metadata profiles
    # echo -e "masters = gentoo\nprofile-formats = portage-2"
>metadata/layout.conf
    # cd profiles
    # echo "local" >repo_name
    # echo -e "amd64\tdefault/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/systemd\texp"
>profiles.desc
    # mkdir -p default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/systemd
    # cd default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/systemd
    # echo "gentoo:default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop" >parent
    # echo "gentoo:default/linux/amd64/13.0/systemd" >>parent

Then eselect your new profile and emerge -uDNva @world.