On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Michael Kjorling wrote:

> My system is AMD64, Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r10 (from gentoo-sources),
> iptables 1.3.2 and generally up-to-date. I can't seem to get iptables
> to work. Netfilter support is compiled into the kernel (compiling it
> as a module and loading that gave the same result), as evidenced by:
>
> $ zgrep -i iptables /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=y
> $
>
> but iptables refuses to run:
>
> # iptables -L -n
> FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
> iptables v1.3.2: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not
> exist (do you need to insmod?)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

If you run "dmesg | grep filter" do you see:

ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team

???

Can we assume you did "make modules_install" when building the current
kernel?

Did you run "emerge iptables" (Im assuming yes) ?

Do you have any IP tables modules too? ("grep IP_NF_
/usr/src/linx/.config" should tell you).