On 09/09/2015 20:01, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Am 2015-09-09 um 04:20 schrieb James:
>
>> I have posted several links on the subject previously [1]; here's one
>> [2].
>
> [..]
>
>> If you can afford it, get a mobo that supports DDR-4.
>> Right now the AMD-HBM Fury-X is the video card with the
>> highest bandwidth for a memory buss on a video card, if
>> you can find one for sale:: limited production right now.
>>
>> RDMA Remote Dynamic Memory Access is the principal finally available
>> in gcc....
>
> Thanks for the pointers, I will read through that thread soon.
> So this means chosing CPU *and* GPU accordingly :-)
>
> I didn't plan to buy a separate video card at all as my usage is quite
> office/terminal-style without gaming or video stuff. The integrated
> graphics of modern core-i7xxx should be enough to run my 2
> 24-inch-monitors. But if the GPU helps speeding up things ... I have to
> consider this as well.

I've done exactly that on my i7 laptop for ages now. It usually runs
it's own 1920 display and an external monitor of same resolution, and
has this hardware:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core
Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Venus XT [Radeon HD 8870M / R9 M270X/M370X]

I use the intel video driver and it's been more than a year since I
built a kernel with radeon :-)

The intel gpu manages full HD video and funky plasma5 effects just fine
at a fraction of the battery usage of the radeon. These days I ask
myself: if I'm not gaming at insane frame rates, or using cuda, then why
do I need the radeon power at all....?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com