On 17/09/2015 15:26, james wrote:
>> With that GPU, you don't need more than 400W. And the amps on the 12V
>> > rail are also not important, as that only comes into play with
>> > higher-end GPUs. Other features can still be important though, like
>> > protection against surges and such (think lightning strikes that can
>> > potentially damage your PC, or some PSU malfunction that could do the
>> > same.)
>
> True, but you are not considering transient voltage swings. If your rig
> draws 350 W and you have a 400 W PS, you will get spikes and draw-downs
> on the voltage during transient period of peak usage. This will kill a PS
> over time, faster that if the 350W rig is running off a 500W supply.
> Lots of quality capacitors in the PS minimize these effects. If the PS
> is rated as extremely efficient (compared to other PS) then it has
> better quality components inside the PS (they react faster to transients).

I have yet to see a computer that draws 350W sustained :-)
Spikes of brief duration yes, sustained no.[1]

But now I'm being pedantic right after you tried so hard not to be.

[1] Anyone who wants to know just how much power 350W really is,
consider that your electric kettle is about 1000W and can boil 1.7l of
cold water in 2 minutes. I know [CG]PUs get hot, but they don't get
*that* hot.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com