Hi James,

thank you for your reply.

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 02:08:19PM +0000, James wrote:
> I have been following 'bcache' as an interesting addition to complex
> compiling scenarios. I'm not certain how it will help your 'wild ideas',
> but it is worth a look, imho

Yes, I have also heard of bcachefs, but unless I am terribly mistaken, it
doesn't offer me anything to solve my actual problem, which is "setting
portage environment variables according to MERGE_TYPE".

I am aware that my setup might not be ideal and that approaches like bcachefs
might help me creating a better compile-install-workflow. But for now -- just
for the fun of it -- let's assume that the underlying basis is fixed and all
that is left is finding a way to dynamically change variables like
PORTAGE_TMPDIR.

That could also be used for scenarios like "if the package needs to be
compiled, then use every single machine in the local network as a distcc
server; if there is already a tbz2 file for the given package, then just
install it without searching for potential servers".

Portage's bashrc can be a powerful script for several use-cases, but at the
moment I am quite sad that I can't change environment variables in there.

So, any other ideas?

Regards,
--Flo