On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 10:12:28PM -0400, cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > Gentoo-sources keywording tends to lag a bit, though I thought they
> > were going to change that.  I tend to just keep my own git clone of
> > the kernel tree and checkout from tags.
>
> Do you bother with the gentoo patches?

I seem to recall the list having a discussion about gentoo-sources vs.
vanilla-sources a while ago, and I believe Rich doesn't use the gentoo
patches. It doesn't seem like he does, since just above he mentions that
he builds and runs kernels from a checkout of a git repo from
kernel.org.

> I have the kernel tree and none of the tags say longterm, do I have the
> wrong tree or  something?    The url I have is
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git

The stable tree is
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git.
Only X.Y tags go into Linus' git repo, not X.Y.Z. When they switched
from version 2 to version 3, the numbering scheme changed a bit. Any
kernel version with a third version number is either stable or long
term, and if the last number in the version is more than 8 or 10, it is
probably going to be a long term kernel.

This is pretty much the rationale that I use for updating - as soon as a
kernel version higher than the one I'm currently running has the last
number in the version hit 8 or 10, I upgrade.

Alec