Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > These are the (2) net facing primary and slave dns servers, just for the
> > few domain names I willauthenticate. They'll be behind a firewall
> > (iptables/dmz) with no internal zone information.  Strictly auth, public
> > facing, with DNSsec.
> Then you need your chosen name server (bind), your chosen fw ruleset
> generators (iptables, maybe some other front end) and maybe fail2ban or
> one of it's friends if you find some port gets hammered.

fail2ban.   an excellent additional package.

> How much ram do you think you need?

The idea is to minimize the ram footprint.  -Os  in the make.conf file
should keep things small, with little performance degradation. Profile::
 [1]   default/linux/amd64/13.0 *

Do you think I can keep the HD size (ide-CompactFlash) below 4 gig?
I did years ago on a gentoo firewall circa 2009. Tricks for OS size
minimization are the focus now.

> > Bind9, dnssec-tools, iptables:: any other packages relevant/germane
> > on a amd-default profile [1] ?

> Yes, that's about it.
> Add in all the other usual server stuff you like to use - monitoring,
> logging, notifications, mail, whatever

mailx, another good idea.

OK, now a minimized set of flag setting for make.conf::
USE="-8 ncurses ssl crypt berkdb pam perl pcre python readline zlib bzip2
nptl syslog"

were the flags on that minimzed gentoo (firewall) systems; further reducing
the globals flag is warranted?
Any suggestions on flag minimization?

with::   CFLAGS=" -march=native -Os -pipe"

I hope I can get the total size @ or below 3 GB, as I have several 4 GB CF
cards on hand; other suggestions?

James