On 14/10/2015 03:53, Dale wrote:
> Marat BN wrote:
>> Ah, I think I figured out what was the problem.  Looked down further in
>> the Portage output, and saw this:
>>
>> The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
>>  (see "package.unmask" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
>> # required by gnome-extra/nm-applet-1.0.6::gentoo
>> # required by net-misc/networkmanager-pptp-1.0.6::gentoo[gtk]
>> # required by @selected
>> # required by @world (argument)
>> # /etc/portage/package.mask:
>> # 2015-09-19--01
>> =net-misc/networkmanager-1.0.6
>> # required by net-misc/networkmanager-pptp-1.0.6::gentoo[gtk]
>> # required by @selected
>> # required by @world (argument)
>> # /etc/portage/package.mask:
>> # 2015-09-14--01
>> =gnome-extra/nm-applet-1.0.6
>> # required by net-misc/networkmanager-1.0.6::gentoo[bluetooth]
>> # required by gnome-extra/nm-applet-1.0.6::gentoo
>> # required by net-misc/networkmanager-pptp-1.0.6::gentoo[gtk]
>> # required by @selected
>> # required by @world (argument)
>> # /etc/portage/package.mask:
>> # 2015-06-22--01
>> =net-wireless/bluez-5.33
>>

>> It appears that 'net-misc/networkmanager-1.0.6' was being pulled in by
>> 'gnome-extra/nm-applet-1.0.6::gentoo',
>> 'net-misc/networkmanager-pptp-1.0.6::gentoo[gtk]', and so on, and these
>> were just being reported further down below.
>>
>> So I added them to '/etc/portage/package,mask' as well and the problem
>> went away.
>>

>> -- Marat

To figure out that "required by/pulled in by/installed" listing, you
have to think like a programmer. That whole listing is not so much
portage telling you what it will do, it's portage telling you how it got
to the point where there's a problem. Think of it like debugger output -
emerge runs, there's a problem and the dev asks for a memory dump of the
dep tree emerge has evaluated so far.

A little bit lower you find the helpful hint the some judicious
unmasking might get around it. But what's really missing is a clear
message about a mask.

Portage is often like a 10 year old telling you why they are upset. Lots
of tears and wailing, but no real description of /why/... :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com