Hello, James.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 07:03:27PM +0000, James wrote:

> > From a virtual console.  Matthias has tracked it down for me, and it is
> > hard coded in one of the C files building shutdown itself.  I think I'm
> > going to edit the source and rebuild it without the bleep.

> Check out 'epatch_user' [1].
> This is exactly what epatch-user was design for. And
> you get 'persistence' with this type of patch.

Thank you, indeed.  I have now created such a patch, not without one or
two problems along the way.  With it, emerge -1 sysvinit now works, and
it generates me a shutdown which doesn't beep.  :-)

> In fact, this would be a perfect example to find it's way to the
> gentoo wiki!

Hmm.  I'd have to moderate the language used in the patch for that.  ;-)

> Bravo, a frequent nuisance, the sounds, and folks could add lots
> of patches to shut off differnet annoying sounds......

> Great Find there Alan...

Thanks to all those who helped me along the way.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).