Hi,

finally I got set up pppoe, which turned out to be surprisingly easy.
It's working fine, though I'm getting a warning when the pppoe interface
is brought up:

heimdali init.d # service net.ppp0 start
 * Bringing up interface ppp0
 *   Starting pppd in ppp0 ...                               [ ok ]
 *   Backgrounding ...
 * WARNING: net.ppp0 has started, but is inactive
heimdali init.d #

Why is this warning showing, and what can I do about it?

How does pppoe work together with shorewall and bind?

When I stop the net.ppp0 service, shorewall is automatically stopped as
well.  When I start net.ppp0, shorewall is not started automatically.

I would like to automatically have net.ppp0 first started and then
shorewall.

When net.ppp0 is stopped and restarted, I also must restart the name
server (bind) :(  Otherwise it is unable to resolve anything.

Can this somehow be avoided?  If not, can this be done automatically?

The log files show martian sources from a bridge device which is used
for the networking of a container:

[1734776.722127] IPv4: martian source 255.255.255.255 from 192.168.1.1, on dev
enp2s0
[1734776.722132] ll header: 00000000: ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 0b 6b 81 c9 44 08 00

The enp2s0 interface is used for pppoe, 192.168.1.1 is the IP of the
bridge.  The bridge does not have a physical network interface assigned
to it.

The routefilter option is enabled on all interfaces.  Why would there be
such a broadcast originating from the bridge, and how can I prevent it?

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.